History Commons Projects, Update on April 2, 2008
Significant new material was added to three projects this week: 9/11, Loss of Civil Liberties, and Watergate.
The entries added to the 9/11 Timeline range from the 9/11 Commission and attempts to get it to come down in favor of an Iraq-al-Qaeda link, an al-Qaeda cell in Italy that was closely monitored by the authorities, and the 9/11 hijackers, who were profiled as high-risk potential banking clients due to their terrorism links. There is also more on BCCI, terrorism finance in general, and two CIA employees — bin Laden unit chief Rich B and contractor Billy Waugh. In addition, there is a new category dealing with internal US security after 9/11.
The Loss of Civil Liberties Timeline takes a look at the recent passport file breaches of presidential candidates, as well as the Protect America and Military Commissions Acts, and constitutional amphibian Dick Cheney.
There are a lot more entries in the Watergate Timeline covering the Committee to Re-elect the President, the Plumbers, and Nixon suggesting the IRS retaliate against Jews who donate money to the Democratic Party.
The Decision to Invade Iraq Timeline has more about the invasion being a project to enhance US dominance of the world.
Finally, the A. Q. Khan Timeline points out that Jimmy Carter gave Pakistan’s nuclear program the ‘green light.’
The History Commons’ fundraising goal has still not been met and any donations will be gratefully received.
Click here to donate
The History Commons Team
Full list of timelines at Cooperative Research:
* Nixon, Ford, and Watergate
* A. Q. Khan’s Nuclear Network
* Loss of Civil Liberties Since 9/11
* Threats to Food Safety
* US Health Care System
* Global Warming
* Iraq Under US Occupation
* US Confrontation with Iran
* Genetic Engineering and the Privatization of Seeds
* The use of Islamist militants by American and Israeli militarists – The War in Afghanistan to September 11 and beyond
* Hurricane Katrina
* Investigation into the 2004 US Election
* US Military
* Environmental impact of 911 attacks
* The Bush administration’s environmental record
* Prisoner Abuse in Iraq, Afghanistan and Elsewhere
* 2004 Ousting of Jean-Bertrand Aristide
* Complete 911 Timeline
* Inquiry into the Decision to Invade Iraq
* Neoliberalism and Globalization
* US International Relations
* History of US Interventions