BY JOHN TOSCANO
February 6, 2008
New York lawmakers in Washington who have been persistently pressing the White
House for increased funding for healthcare programs for ailing 9/11 World Trade
Center workers were jolted last week when President George W. Bush’s proposed
budget slashed those programs by 77 percent.
Only last Wednesday, they pointed out, a White House spokesman had issued a
statement that the president’s 2009 budget would "reflect his continued
commitment" to WTC workers. In reality, the budget issued appropriated
a paltry $25 million, down from $108 million in the present spending plan.
"This dramatic and unwarranted cut flies in the face of common sense,
compassion and just plain fairness," Senator Charles Schumer declared as
he promised to "fight these cuts tooth and nail to ensure these heroes
receive the health care they need and clearly deserve".
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton stated she was "disappointed and saddened
to see that the president chose not to acknowledge the clear healthcare needs
of these heroes", and Congressmember Carolyn Maloney said it was "shocking
that the president would use his final budget to take an axe to the 9/11 healthcare
Maloney (D- Queens/Manhattan) noted: "Just a few weeks ago, the administration
canceled a program for 9/11 responders from around the country because they
said it lacked funding, and now they release a budget that doesn’t even ask
for the money they said they needed.
"The administration has failed in every single one of its budget proposals
to deliver adequate help to the heroes of 9/11. Sadly, it looks like this is
yet another problem the president will be leaving to his successor."
Maloney pointed out that the Fiscal Year 2008 budget had for the first time
included $25 million for 9/11 health programs, even though the National Institute
for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) estimated these programs would need
more than $200 million.
The administration at that time promised more funds would be provided, but
nothing more was added.
Ultimately, under pressure from the New York congressional delegation, the
administration relented and provided $108 million for sick responders, residents,
and students, plus another $50 million for 9/11 health needs in an emergency
Source URL: http://www.qgazette.com/news/2008/0206/features/012.html